Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Liyahn - Proving my thinking 1



Kia ora readers,

Today I am going to prove my thinking about this picture below by means of multiplication and addition. 





Mum was sorting the towels in the linen cupboard. There were 9 towels on 3 shelves. How many towels altogether?


I think the answer is 27 because I know my 9 times tables. 9 x 3 = 27

I also know the answer is 27 because I know my addition. 9 + 9 + 9 = 27

I can show that there are 27 towels by using multiplication and addition.

Cupboard Cupboard Cupboard

         9                                 9                                 9

9 x 3 = 27

5 towels + 4 towels first cupboard = 9 towels
3 towels + 6 towels second cupboard = 9 towels
7 towels + 2 towels third cupboard = 9 towels

9 + 9 + 9 = 27


Thank you for reading my blog. Please leave a comment and have a great day :).

4 comments:

  1. I never thought to use items around the house to make maths problems.What a great idea Liyahn.You have set your work out to a high standard.It's easy to read and just,all round,BRILLIANT.
    I was never good at my multiplication.I do know there is a trick way to doing the 9 times,using your hands/fingers.

    ReplyDelete